December 19, 2019
Some of you keeping a beady eye on Instagram will know that I recently hosted a Christmas tablescaping workshop at Matches town house. I created two different looks and then my fabulous co-hosts Frida Kim and Caroline Kent of Scribble & Daub explained how to add the perfect finishing touches with beautiful flowers and the chicest place cards and menus.
Below are an abundance of photos for all the inspo you will need but here are my five top tips for you to bare in mind when you’re styling your table this Christmas.
1) Mix and match: Don’t stick to one dinner serve throughout the meal. Change it up for pudding and use something completely different. You can use plain or highly patterned. There are no rules.
2) Get personal: Go the extra mile and handwrite place cards and menus for your guests.
3) You don’t always need crackers: They are not the most environmentally friendly of fellows so perhaps give a small gift instead wrapped in a paper that compliments your table design.
4) Go for a patterned tablecloth: Chic, chic, chic and if you really want to go for it, go full on matchy with the napkins as well.
5) Always add a bit of tack! Quality Streets served on your best porcelain dish is my tip for the top this year. Above all make sure there’s one ‘wrong’ thing like a gaudy bauble for everyone or some glittery ribbon so it doesn’t all look too perfect.
D’Ascoli chestnut print tablecloth, £395 . Bordallo Pinheiro cabbage earthenware dinner plate, £10 . La DoubleJ set of 2 Murano glasses, £175 . Wolseley Collection set of 6 crystal glasses, £190 . Wolseley Collection set of 6 Roemer glasses, £145 . Once Milano linen napkin, £20 . True Grace set of 2 dinner candles, £6 . Scribble & Daub large blank border menu card, £6 . Scribble & Daub blank place name card, £4.50
Preen by Thornton Bregazzi floral tablecloth, £450 . Preen by Thornton Bregazzi set of 4 floral napkins, £280 . Feldspar painted rim china dinner plate, £40 . Richard Ginori set of 2 Oriental coffee cups, £385 . Richard Ginori Oriental porcelain dessert plate, £75 . Ester & Erik tapered pair of candles, £10 . Lobmeyr crystal wine glass, £65 . Lobmeyr crystal champagne glass, £70 . Lobmeyr set of 2 crystal tumblers, £65 . Cire Trudon Nazareth scented candle, £85 . Scribble & Daub large blank bow menu, £6 . Scribble & Daub blank place name card, £4.50
Flowers by Frida Kim
Photographs by Shaun James Cox